Clan Campbell of Possil Badge, Carter-Campbell Clan, Scottish Cl

Clan Campbell of Possil Badge, Carter-Campbell Clan, Scottish Cl

SKU: CLAN0209

Carter-Campbell of Possil (also known as Campbell of Possil) is a branch of Clan Campbell, a Scottish clan. The branch of the Campbell clan was historically centred in Lawers. Some of the clan, which originated with the original Campbells, had links to the lands of Argyll.

The family originates from two notable Scottish families. The Campbells of Possil were originally part of Clan Campbell, and located in Argyll; and the Carters were an Irish family, noted for their political involvement in the 18th century in Ireland. The Carter-Campbell name was first used in 1864, following marriage.

The Campbells of Possil's first origin in Scotland is around Argyll, which is a region of western Scotland. The family is an extended branch of the Campbells of Kinloch and also the Campbells of Murthlie. These both have origins from the Campbells of Lawers.

The clan is directly descended from Sir Colin Campbell of Glenorchy, a Scottish nobleman born in the 15th century. Towards the end of the Middle Ages, several Campbells reached positions of power within Scotland, while under the reign of King James II. This continued into the reigns of King James III and also James IV of Scotland, where many Campbells became Earls of Argyll. 

During the 17th century there were several Large Scottish Battles, which took place between 1644 and 1651. The Campbell of Possil's first major involvement was at the Battle of Inverlochy in 1645. Between 1647 and 1698, the Clan Campbell and Clan MacLean fought numerous battles around the area of Argyll, where many of the Campbell of Possil ancestors were located. 
In 1647, members of Clan Campbell were defeated at Duart Castle, during a battle by Royalist troops of Clan MacLean. In 1678, Archibald Campbell, 9th Earl of Argyll, son of the Marquess of Argyll invaded the Isle of Mull and took land from Clan MacLean.

Years after the invasion of the Isle of Mull, members of the Campbell of Possil family invaded Duart Castle in 1691 along with Archibald Campbell, 1st Duke of Argyll. The Castle was surrendered by Sir John Maclean, 4th Baronet. The Castle was subsequently demolished, by Clan Campbell and eventually included as part of the Torosay Castle estate. It remained as a ruin until it was rebuilt in the 19th century when David Bryce was commissioned to build Torosay Castle for the Campbell of Possil family.

Marriage took place in 1864 between Colonel Thomas Tupper Carter and Emily Georgina Campbell of Possil IV, who was granddaughter of Colonel Alexander Campbell of Possil. Once married, their matrimonial home was the Fascadale estate, Ardrishaig, Argyllshire. Emily Georgina Campbell of Possil IV wished to retain her surname when the marriage took place, which resulted in the formation of the Carter-Campbell name. The two land owning families were the Carters of Castle Martin and the Campbells of Possil. The Carters of Castle Martin had origins in the region of County Kildare, Ireland and this is where most of their land was located. The Campbells of Possil owned large areas of land throughout Lanarkshire.

Each item begins as a piece of bronze sheet metal.  After a pattern is transferred to the metal, the piece is etched in a salt-water solution.  Each piece is hand cut, sanded, and polished. The pin back is soldered on. A patina has been applied giving the metal that aged look. A clear polymer coating is applied to the face of the badge.

  • Production Process

    Each item begins as a piece of bronze sheet metal.  After a pattern is transferred to the metal, the piece is etched in a salt-water solution.  Each piece is hand cut, sanded, and polished. The pin back is soldered on. A patina has been applied giving the metal that aged look. A clear polymer coating is applied to the face of the badge.

$50.00Price