Clan Forrester Badge, Lowland Scottish Clan
The Forresters are an ancient and noble clan of the Scottish Lowlands. The clan took their name from their ancient role as guardians of the royal forest around Edinburgh. The Forresters had significant holdings in Lothian, and Stirlingshire. It is possible that the chiefs of Clan Forrester were of Celtic and Druidic origin. The chiefs may descend from Marnin the Forrester who in about 1200 held lands in Dunipace, Stirlingshire. The original caput of the clan is believed to have been Torwood Castle in Stirlingshire, as well as Corstorphine Castle on the outskirts of Edinburgh. Many clan chiefs and Lord's Forrester are interred in Corstorphine Church.
The founder of the clan is generally regarded as Sir Adam Forrester, 1st of Corstorphine who was an ambassador, merchant, Provost of Edinburgh, Keeper of the Great Seal of Scotland, and Deputy Chamberlain of Scotland. In 1376 he acquired the estate of Corstorphine in Midlothian which is now part of Edinburgh. It was here that Corstorphine Castle (now demolished) stood as well as the Collegiate church of Corstorphine, which has the effigies of three of the Forrester chiefs.
Sir Adam Forrester's son, Sir John Forrester the elder, was also Keeper of the Great Seal of Scotland and Chamberlain of Scotland. He was also Keeper of the Household to James I of Scotland. According to historian Alexander Mackenzie, Gerse or Grace, sister of Sir John Forrester of Corstorphine, possibly married Robert de Munro, 8th Baron of Foulis.
During the Wars of Scottish Independence Forresters fought at the Battle of Halidon Hill in 1333. They also fought at the Battle of Sauchieburn in the 15th century. The chief's family had several landed cadet branches. Amongst them was Sir John Forrester of Niddry who died at the Battle of Flodden in 1513.
There was a Stirlingshire branch of the clan, the Forresters of Garden who were heritable keepers of the Torwood (a Royal forest and hunting ground). They owned the barony of Garden as well as Torwood and the ruins of Torwood Castle still stand. Sir Duncan Forrester, 1st of Torwood was Comptroller of the Royal Household for James IV of Scotland. No fewer than eight Forresters of Torwood were Provosts of Stirling burgh.
Sir James Forrester, seventh chief of Clan Forrester was killed at the Battle of Pinkie Cleugh in 1547, as was Sir David Forrester, 4th of the Torwood branch of the clan.
A cadet of the Forresters of Garden was the first of the Fifeshire Chieftains, the Forresters of Strathendry. The Forresters of Strathendry built Strathendry Castle, a 16th-century tower house where both Mary, Queen of Scots and Oliver Cromwell stayed. It is the only Forrester stronghold that is still inhabited today.
Each item begins as a piece of bronze sheet metal. After a pattern is transferred to the metal, the piece is etched in a salt-water solution. Each piece is hand cut, sanded, and polished. The pin back is soldered on. The piece is hand painted with dye oxide, specifically for metal. A clear polymer coating is applied to the face of the badge.