Clan Gunn Badge, Scottish Clan, Highland Scottish Clan
Clan Gunn is a Highland Scottish clan associated with lands in northeastern Scotland, including Caithness, Sutherland and, arguably, the Orkney Isles. Clan Gunn is one of the oldest Scottish Clans, being descended from the Norse Jarls of Orkney and the Pictish Mormaers of Caithness.
The Gunn's traditional enemies were the Clan Keith, who from their Ackergill Castle, challenged the Gunn chiefs for both political needs and for land. During the 17th century the Clan Gunn strengthened their links with the Clan Mackay when Gunn of Killearnan married Mary Mackay, sister of Lord Reay, chief of Clan Mackay. The next Gunn chief married Lord Reay's daughter.
Another branch of the clan, the Gunns of Bramore, who descend from Robert, a younger son of Am Braisdeach Mor were generally known as the Robson Gunns. Sir William Gunn, brother of the Robson chief, despite being Catholic served in the army of the Protestant king of Sweden and rose to command a battalion. He later fought for Charles I and received a knighthood in 1639. He later returned to the Continent where he served the Holy Roman Empire and married a German baroness. He became an imperial general and was created baron of the Holy Roman Empire in 1649.
The Gunns as a Clan did not support the Stuarts and fought for the British government during the Jacobite rising of 1745. Alexander Gunn, chief of the Clan Gunn was a Captain of an Independent Highland Company that fought for the British Government. Gunns did independently fight for the Bonnie Prince and a list can be found in the publication No Quarter Given, the muster roll of Prince Charles Edward Stuart's Army 1745–46.
Each item begins as a piece of bronze sheet metal. After a pattern is transferred to the metal, the piece is etched in a salt-water solution. Each piece is hand cut, sanded, and polished. The pin back is soldered on. The piece is hand painted with dye oxide, specifically for metal. A clear polymer coating is applied to the face of the badge.