top of page

The clan does not currently have a clan chief and therefore it is considered an armigerous clan. The Clan comes from the Scottish Borders. The Youngs were predominately found in the Middle March area of the Borders. Like many of the families living in the Marches, the Youngs took part in raiding parties on neighboring villages and settlements on both sides of the border.

The name in Scotland is synonymous with Younger, which was used to describe the heir to a feudal title. Earliest records of the name in Scotland include Malmor and Ade Young who appear at Dumbarton in 1271. In 1342 John Young of Dingwall witnessed a charter by the Earl of Ross to Reginald who was the son of the Lord of the Isles. In 1439 Alexander Young was chaplain to the House of the Holy Trinity in Aberdeen. Peter Young became assistant preceptor to the three-year-old James VI of Scotland, upon the recommendation of the Regent Moray in 1569. He was knighted at Whitehall in 1605.

Rue Castle, near Jedburgh, in the Scottish Borders, is the site of a castle once held by the Youngs that was torched by the English in 1513 and 1545. Harburn Castle, near West Calder, West Lothian was built by the Youngs in 1804 but is now a hotel and conference centre.

Clan Young Badge

Excluding Sales Tax
  • Each item begins as a piece of bronze sheet metal.  After a pattern is transferred to the metal, the piece is etched in a salt-water solution.  Each piece is hand cut, sanded, and polished. The pin back is soldered on. A patina has been applied giving the metal that aged look. A clear polymer coating is applied to the face of the badge. 

bottom of page