The story of the Binning family stretches back through time to the Viking settlers who populated the rugged shores of Scotland in the Medieval era. The Binning name comes from a place named by these Vikings and was used by a family who lived in the old barony of Binney, in the parish of Uphall, in the county of West Lothian. The surname Binning was first found in the West Lothian, where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
One of the first records of the family was William Bennings (fl. 1180), an English judge, "was, according to Giraldus Cambrensis, sent to Ireland by Henry II in 1176 as one of four envoys, of whom two were to remain with the viceroy, Richard FitzGilbert, earl of Striguil, and two were to return, bringing with them Reimund Fitzgerald, whose military exploits had aroused the king's jealousy. "
William Benyng or De Binn (fl. 1250), was an early Scottish "biographer, may be presumed to have been a native of Binning in Linlithgowshire. He was Prior of the Cistercian abbey of Newbattle until 1243, when he was elected Abbot of Cupar. He resigned this office on 29 Sept. 1258, probably on account of old age. The date of his death is unknown. " In the Middle Ages, no real standards were established to judge the accuracy of spelling and translation. They were done mostly by ear and intuition, and enormous numbers of spelling variations were the result. Binning has appeared as Binney, Binning, Binnie, Benning, Bennyng, Bynnie, Bynny, Bynnyng, Byning, Bynning and many more.
Clan Binning Badge, Scottish Lowland Clan
Each item begins as a piece of bronze sheet metal. After a pattern is transferred to the metal, the piece is etched in a salt-water solution. Each piece is hand cut, sanded, and polished. The pin back is soldered on. A patina has been applied giving the metal that aged look. A clear polymer coating is applied to the face of the badge.